Pet Rats/Rat vet in London?

Hi Dr Millikan, I have a pet rat called Patches. I was wondering as Patches currently has a tumor under her right arm if there is anything or anyone I could bring her to. The problem is that I live in London, United Kingdom.

Is there anything you can do to help me?
Thank you, Alan.

Dear Alan,

You can get the tumor removed. And happily, rat tumors are usually benign, and don't recur.

I can give you two options. There is a vet called Arden House which has several clinics  including at least one in West London. These vets do not specialize in small animals, but one rat person I talked to said she has had three mammary tumors removed there and it was done well- except you have to tell them to use glue as well as sutures. It cost her 135.

She also knows of another vet called Acton, also in West London, which does have at least one small animal specialist. This person has not been there but she had called to find out prices and it was about the same. I can give you a link for that one:

Another person has a friend who has gone to this vet in East London:

Some of the links on the page go nowhere but it is enough to get you what you need.

I would love it if you find another vet, to let me know. I run a Facebook group called Rats are Awesome, and among many topics we are just starting a list of good rat vets-- anywhere.

If you are on Facebook, join Rats are Awesome and let me know who you are. There is also another group called The Rat Fan Club, run by another of our expert (Debbie Ducommun) who also runs; there are also at least 6 very experienced/expert people in my group-- including the other two experts- so we get good answers when we need them.

If anyone gives me any more London vets, I will amend this answer with that information and you will get an email saying that I have done so. if you write back, use the follow up option.

Good luck with Patches.

Pet Rats

Natasha Millikan

Consider me a sub, when no one else is available. NOTE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ONLY ONE RAT. JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP (because there are smarter people than me there!!): ***** ***** Excellent sites: **** **** **** **** **** ****

I have had rats for 3-1/3 years and have researched them extensively. I am a mouse expert with 40 years' experience with mice. The two species are similar and yet also quite different.

My Facebook group is Rats (and Mice) are Awesome.

I have a Bachelor's and two Master's degrees in Linguistics

I am honored that my rats love me!

My Facebook group, Rats are Awesome, serves at the moment 5300 members, and, considering all the huge rescues, probably averages 5 rats per member. That means my clients are about 25,000 rats!!!