Pet Rats/my rats breathing

Question
Why is she gasping though? If vets have gave her lungs all clear more or less. Cud her nerve damage on face be connected to breathing through nose. Im going to phone them again tomorrow to see if they can do anything else for her.

Answer
Just because her lungs sound okay at the vets doesn't mean she doesn't have disease there. However, it is possible that her lungs are okay and the problem is just in her nose. In my experience, amoxicillin is better for infections in the nose than Baytril. If her nasal cavity is swollen, a steroid like prednisone would help reduce the swelling. Your vet could also give her a shot of dexamethasone, which is a more powerful steroid, and see how that helps if they don't want to prescribe prednisone. Some vets don't like to use prednisone because it does suppress the immune system, but as long as they are also on an antibiotic, I've never seen it cause any problems.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun