Pet Rats/my rats breathing

Why is she gasping though? If vets have gave her lungs all clear more or less. Cud her nerve damage on face be connected to breathing through nose. Im going to phone them again tomorrow to see if they can do anything else for her.

Just because her lungs sound okay at the vets doesn't mean she doesn't have disease there. However, it is possible that her lungs are okay and the problem is just in her nose. In my experience, amoxicillin is better for infections in the nose than Baytril. If her nasal cavity is swollen, a steroid like prednisone would help reduce the swelling. Your vet could also give her a shot of dexamethasone, which is a more powerful steroid, and see how that helps if they don't want to prescribe prednisone. Some vets don't like to use prednisone because it does suppress the immune system, but as long as they are also on an antibiotic, I've never seen it cause any problems.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior