Pet Rats/bumblefoot vs bone cancer

I was trying to add anoher image but it wouldn't let me. Heres his xray pic. Yes he limps on it bc it hurts to put pressure on it. Would u recommend anything else along w amoxcillian? Like I said my vet told me it was cancer and most likely spread. Im not sure of this, so I guess ill just try treating it as bumblefoot again.  Im not sure what else to do

There does seem to be changes in the bone on the x-ray. But I don't think the only cause could be bone cancer. Seems like infection could also cause changes to the bones.

1.correct metacam dose? he weighs 1.2 pounds. metacam is 1.5mg/ml. my math is comming out to 1.46 mls which i was going to split into two time a day.  but his pain doesnt seem to bad. so im not sure. im scared to give to much.

That would be the maximum Metacam dose for him, twice a day, with the minimum dose being is 0.4 ml twice a day. So if you split the 1.46 ml dose that would be 0.73 ml twice a day, which certainly would not be too much. You can start with this, and if it doesn't seem to help enough, increase it.

Let me know if the lump feels attached to the bone.  Oh, and how long has he had the bumble?

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior