Pet Rats/rats

Question
could you please tell me why female rats are more playful and inquisitive than males. i have a male rat and, although he is very loving, he isn't as playful as i thought, he would be i.e he doesn't shred paper or show interest in toys. i wanted a rat that would be playful but loving is nice.

Answer
Hi Deborah,
Female rats tend to be more active than males. Males tend to be more laid back. Most rat owners would love to have your loving boy! Many females are too busy to be very loving. While females tend to like to shred paper and play more with toys than most males, the way most males like to play is to wrestle with your hand. Have you tried that?

Do you have just one rat?  A single rat isn't going to be as active or playful as a rat with a cagemate to play with.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun