Pet Rats/rats

could you please tell me why female rats are more playful and inquisitive than males. i have a male rat and, although he is very loving, he isn't as playful as i thought, he would be i.e he doesn't shred paper or show interest in toys. i wanted a rat that would be playful but loving is nice.

Hi Deborah,
Female rats tend to be more active than males. Males tend to be more laid back. Most rat owners would love to have your loving boy! Many females are too busy to be very loving. While females tend to like to shred paper and play more with toys than most males, the way most males like to play is to wrestle with your hand. Have you tried that?

Do you have just one rat?  A single rat isn't going to be as active or playful as a rat with a cagemate to play with.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior