Pet Rats/Rats aggressively fighting!

Hello, my name's Hannah, I'm 14 and from the UK. I have two beautiful pet male rats called Heston and Charlie, both fancy albino rats that i have had from birth. They are both unneutered and normally love eachother very much. Heston is very playful and is great to play with and meet anybody, whereas Charlie is very shy around other humans and on occasions, me. Over the past two days I have noticed Heston hiding away from Charlie in a box which Charlie is trying to push violently, to maybe get Heston out. I noticed that whenever Heston moves, Charlie is following him, like he doesn't want Heston in the cage. Last night I took Heston out of the cage to see what Charlie did, and he calmed down. But when i put him back in, they had a massive brawl and were rolling around, practically screaming. I looked online and saw 3 options; to nueter Charlie, to put him down or to 'let him grow out of it'. Please, i need urgent advice, what is the best option? Thank you so much!

Hi Hannah,
How old are your boys? If this is hormone-caused aggression, Charlie won't "grow out of it." In fact, it will probably just get worse. Neutering will reduce the aggression, but another alternative is just to have them live in separate cages, as long as Charlie doesn't get aggressive with people.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior