Pet Rats/Rats aggressively fighting!

Question
Hello, my name's Hannah, I'm 14 and from the UK. I have two beautiful pet male rats called Heston and Charlie, both fancy albino rats that i have had from birth. They are both unneutered and normally love eachother very much. Heston is very playful and is great to play with and meet anybody, whereas Charlie is very shy around other humans and on occasions, me. Over the past two days I have noticed Heston hiding away from Charlie in a box which Charlie is trying to push violently, to maybe get Heston out. I noticed that whenever Heston moves, Charlie is following him, like he doesn't want Heston in the cage. Last night I took Heston out of the cage to see what Charlie did, and he calmed down. But when i put him back in, they had a massive brawl and were rolling around, practically screaming. I looked online and saw 3 options; to nueter Charlie, to put him down or to 'let him grow out of it'. Please, i need urgent advice, what is the best option? Thank you so much!

Answer
Hi Hannah,
How old are your boys? If this is hormone-caused aggression, Charlie won't "grow out of it." In fact, it will probably just get worse. Neutering will reduce the aggression, but another alternative is just to have them live in separate cages, as long as Charlie doesn't get aggressive with people.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun