Pet Rats/Smelly rats!

Gaby wrote at 2013-06-19 11:55:33
Neither are spayed. I was hoping to have this done before their 1rst birthday but that day is fast approaching and I still have a lot of other vet bills to pay off. I thought Oxbow had a decent amount of soybean but I could add some. Is it better fermented? Could I feed them some tofu?

I cleaned my cage out thoroughly yesterday evening. This morning it smells. Not pinch your nose smell, but I can smell the urine which means guests can too and I worry about becoming too accustomed to it that I don't even notice it. I feel like it needs to be cleaned EVERY day but I just get frustrated and put it off till the next day.

Won't they EAT rabbit food? I'm willing to try anything and EVERYTHING at once. Charcoal odor absorbers in the cage? Open baking soda box next to the cage? Even the Marshall supplement if I can find it. There's nothing like taking your time and doing a really thorough clean only to wake up to the smell of pee.  I didn't have this problem with my first pair of rats. Perhaps the new cage sort of made it worse as this one is so ventilated I smell everything right away.  The last cage was a GROTTO but I got rid of it when they chewed through the waterproof covering and peed on the wood.  

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun