Pet Rats/Neutering

I'm planning on maybe getting one of my boys neutered.
I have a simple question to ask (Maybe two)

After I got him neutered, can I put him in the same cage as his brother while he's healing?

Another question is: If I got both of them neutered, can I keep them in the same cage while they are healing?

ANSWER: Hi Terika,
Yes, male rats can be together after being neutered. Why do you plan to get them neutered?

QUESTION: I'm only planning on probably neutering one, the reason is that he is getting aggressive..

ANSWER: Ah, that is a good reason to neuter. If he is really aggressive, you might need to keep him separate for a while until his aggression lessens.

QUESTION: He's not aggressive towards his brother in any way. He's only aggressive to humans. Would I still need to separate them?

Usually, when a rat is aggressive enough to be neutered, he is aggressive toward other rats mostly, and maybe toward people.

In what way is he aggressive toward people?  Does he bite and draw blood? Exactly what are the circumstances where he is aggressive?

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior