Pet Rats/male rex rat

I have 3 male rex rats, all that I bought two weeks ago. Already I took them to the vet fpr an upper resp infection. The vet  prescribed. Them amoxicillin for1 0 days . My one male lost all hos hair completely and his skin has a blueish black tint to it which seems like bruising butthere are no songs of bullying at all by hos brothers o don't know if that's just his skin tone but it seemed to come out of nowhere and his brother's are all pink skin toned .

It sounds like you have a double Rex. Double Rex rats go through several molts during their lifetime, where they lose much or patches if their fur. Darker colored double Rex and hairless rats have darker skin- almost a blackish-blue color. So if your Rex rat was black and now has lost the hair, the skin will be this darkish color. I would assume your other Rex rats must be lighter in color if their skin is pink?  

Pet Rats

Shawna Laufer

Nutrition has always been an interest of mine as well as creating stimulating environments for rats. I conduct product reviews on my blog so I can take questions regarding products marketed or intended for rats. Other questions regarding basic husbandry, feeding, grooming, and other pet rat care will be accepted. I have very little breeding experience so I would not be able to answer much in the ways of breeding or genetics questions. I can help with some basic health care questions but am not a vet and always suggest contacting your vet for serious inquires.

I have over 13 years of experience with pet rats, having worked in several pet stores, as a veterinary tech assistant, and with my own pet rats. I run a highly regarded blog on the subject of pet rat ownership ( with a corresponding YouTube channel and Facebook page. I have been and always will be open to questions and comments.

A photograph of my lady rat's cage is being published in Worth Publishers' college textbook "How Children Develop, 4e" by Robert Siegler, Judy DeLoache and Nancy Eisenberg on the subject of how complex, stimulating environments and how they relate to the brains of rats.

I have some college experience, but not in the field of animals. I completed the majority of an at-home Veterinary Technician course which I was unable to complete due to financial reason. The majority of my knowledge on rats have come from personal experience, conducting my own research with the help of published medical studies and journal, the internet and through other knowledgeable 'rat people'.