Pet Rats/Baby male rat

I recently adopted a baby boy from a breeder. He's now almost 3 months old, and has been with me for just over 2 months c: He's sweet and everything, but I also discovered the breeder gave him to me when he was too young to be weaned. he was only 3 weeks old when I got him. My question is, will this affect his behavior towards people or other rats or how he matures?

(Also, the very night I got him we had a storm and he escaped his cage. The poor thing was lost and starved in my house for two days before we finally found him. He's healthy now, but he always gets nervous around storms now. I dunno if this makes a difference or not, but it might.)

Hi Nicole,
It probably will not affect his behavior toward people, but it might make him less able to understand other rats. Did you plan to get him a cagemate?  If so, the sooner the better. How much time does he get to spend with you? If it is less than 4 hours a day, it would be best to get him a cagemate. You just need to do the introductions carefully. See instructions on my website at on the Rat Info page.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior