Pet Rats/Male coat pattern

So, my boy is just 3 months old now, and he has a...complexing coat pattern. He's a black and white veriberk, but the integruing part is his back. Instead of being all black there are white hairs everywhere, almost like the silvered variety. I wanna say he's a silvered black, but I don't think this is possible. Is there an actual term for this coat?

Hi Nicole,

Yes I would say that he is a Silvered Black

I have also heard of a Silver Agouti before. He also could just be referred to as an AOC(any other color). According to the American Fancy Rat and Mice Association this is the entire body is of the same color, but the coat consists of individual hairs banded with two or more colors and evenly interspersed with colored guard hairs. In this Section the colors are: Agouti, Amber, Blue Agouti, Chinchilla, Cinnamon, Cinnamon Pearl, Fawn, Lynx, Pearl, Russian Blue Agouti.

Again, on the AFRMA they describe the silveration in coat patterns. Read up and you can best judge what coat pattern fits him. Or send me a photo and i can give you my best guess.

Hope this helps!

Pet Rats

Emily Harris

I can Answer Questions from Training your pet rat,socializing , breeding ,whelping,birth defects, coat patters,genetic disorders, Pros and Cons of Rats,Male vs. Females, Behavior, Diet, General care, Housing, Bathing, Home remedy for the deadly respiratory infection,exercise,Toys,play time,free ranging, what can cause your rat to become sick(ex pine and cedar oils),Living Conditions, Sexing a rat, Intelligence, Breed standards and ways to improve the smell of your pet rat.

I currently have 4 rats, 2 females, 1 breeding male and my 5 year old male who has been retired. I have a degree in biology. I breed for feeders and pets. I have owned rats for 8 years and have bred for 6 years.

Biology degree