Pet Rats/rattie died

I am sitting here just bawling.  I just held my 2 y old boy Charlie as he died while seizing.  A few minutes before he was eating fruit.  Never had a seizure before, in a human I would have immediately thought CVA (nurse).....he was overweight, fairly healthy otherwise, finishing a round of Baytril (URI and a small bumble). Airway was open, no choking. Nothing. Totally unexpected and fast. Do rats have strokes?

First of all, I am very sorry to hear of your rat's passing. In all the years I have kept rats, having them pass away never gets any easier so I completely understand what you are going through.

Yes, rats can have strokes.

Obesity can be a risk factor for stroke, as are things like age, genetics, tumors, leukemia, cardiac disease, metabolic diseases, and hypertension.

And yes, they are very sudden.

Again, my condolences for your loss. :(  

Pet Rats

Shawna Laufer

Nutrition has always been an interest of mine as well as creating stimulating environments for rats. I conduct product reviews on my blog so I can take questions regarding products marketed or intended for rats. Other questions regarding basic husbandry, feeding, grooming, and other pet rat care will be accepted. I have very little breeding experience so I would not be able to answer much in the ways of breeding or genetics questions. I can help with some basic health care questions but am not a vet and always suggest contacting your vet for serious inquires.

I have over 13 years of experience with pet rats, having worked in several pet stores, as a veterinary tech assistant, and with my own pet rats. I run a highly regarded blog on the subject of pet rat ownership ( with a corresponding YouTube channel and Facebook page. I have been and always will be open to questions and comments.

A photograph of my lady rat's cage is being published in Worth Publishers' college textbook "How Children Develop, 4e" by Robert Siegler, Judy DeLoache and Nancy Eisenberg on the subject of how complex, stimulating environments and how they relate to the brains of rats.

I have some college experience, but not in the field of animals. I completed the majority of an at-home Veterinary Technician course which I was unable to complete due to financial reason. The majority of my knowledge on rats have come from personal experience, conducting my own research with the help of published medical studies and journal, the internet and through other knowledgeable 'rat people'.