Pet Rats/doubts from a brazillian mecol/twister owner

gregorio, dexter and malfoy
gregorio, dexter and m  
my 4 month old rat gave birth to 11 babies on 12/11/13 and passed away right after week 3 of nursing them,they're now a month old and are all healthy and eating solids and drinking water
I gave away 9 of the babies but I'm thinking of keeping 2 of them, both males, but I already have a male rat, born 08/24/13, I was wondering if he can get along with the babies if I keep them in the same cage, they're together now, gregorio, the older one is actually grooming the babies, they appeared to be wrestling earlier, but no blood was spilled, haha
is there a chance he'll kill the babies once they hit puberty?

Hi Luiza,
I think you are the first rat person to contact me from Brazil! I'm happy to hear from you. There is no chance that Gregorio will kill the babies later. The biggest danger that an adult male might kill baby rats is when the babies are little. However, even Gregoria hasn't reached full adulthood, and sometimes at that point a male rat will become aggressive and will fight with other rats, and cause injuries. If that happens, you will need to separate that rat.

Good job finding homes for the other babies!  Do they all have cagemates? Because it is best for rats to live in groups.  How popular are rats as pets in Brazil?

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior