Pet Rats/Pet rat sick

Hi, wondering if you could help me. I am away and have someone caring for my two female 20 month old rats. I was told one has a red swollen eye and head tilt. I have been reading up and may be infection. I have clavamox pills as well as prednisone from my dog who recently passed. wondering if I should have caretaker treat them with these. If yes what dosage and how. Please if you can help I do not want to lose her. I cannot make it home for another 9 days . Cannot drive ( medical ) to get to her.
Thank you for reading and any help.

Hi Deb,
I'm not too worried about the eye, but you definitely want to treat the head tilt right away. Yes, start her on the clavamox at 20 mg/lb twice a day, and the prednisone at 1 mg/lb twice a day.  If your caretaker has email, he or she can email me at for more details on mixing up the meds.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior