Pet Rats/strange behavior after babies 'lost'.

Neo moore wrote at 2014-12-03 11:38:47
Hi there, I have had a rat share her litter of 13 with her cage-mate whose babies didn't live, and the babies just had two moms. Also, I had two moms give birth the same day, and one was afraid of hers, so the other mom adopted the whole litter. 5 of the adoptees lived, and all of the adopted mothers also lived, this mother raised 16 babies successfully. But Debbie is right, you have to watch them to make sure one doesn't harm any babies.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior