Pet Rats/Rats wrestling...

I have two pet rats, both are about three months old and are girls. I know that they will wrestle and play fight, I have done my research on that front. But what is appearing strange is that one of them, Wanda, keeps trying to mount the other, Blu, and then bites her back. Blu then squeaks as if in pain. For the most part, they get along, they cuddle together and groom each other. But Wanda trying to hump Blu and keep her pinned down with her teeth in the process seems troublesome. Keep in mind, I have never owned rats before but always have wanted to. I just want to know if this is normal or something I should worry about. Any help would be great!

Completely normal :)  Most females can sense and smell when a cagemate is in heat and will play the mounting game.  Sometimes, cagemates take turns doing this to each other, and sometimes it is only one cagemate that does it to the other.  If the latter, then it's typically the more dominant female mounting the submissive one.

Females begin to go into heat at about 5 weeks of age.  They go into heat every 3 to 4 days, so you may notice this happening around this cycle.  This behavior can go on throughout the lives of your girls, but generally subsides once they get older.  

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.