Pet Rats/concerend

Question
i had both female n male rats in a critter keeper cage and the female was preganet when i got home one day she was dead with her belly split open and babies were out but dead. how did this happen nobody was home and i have no other pets

Answer
Hi Ebony,
I'm very sorry to hear that. The male was in with the female?  In a Critter Keeper? Isn't rat really small for 2 rats?

Anyway, what probably happened is that the female died, maybe from something wrong with the pregnancy, or maybe from a bacterial infection. It is common when a rat dies for other rats in with it to eat part of the body.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun