Pet Rats/concerend

i had both female n male rats in a critter keeper cage and the female was preganet when i got home one day she was dead with her belly split open and babies were out but dead. how did this happen nobody was home and i have no other pets

Hi Ebony,
I'm very sorry to hear that. The male was in with the female?  In a Critter Keeper? Isn't rat really small for 2 rats?

Anyway, what probably happened is that the female died, maybe from something wrong with the pregnancy, or maybe from a bacterial infection. It is common when a rat dies for other rats in with it to eat part of the body.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior