Pet Rats/New rat trust training

I'm not sure how to go about breaking my new baby rats in and getting them used to being touched and held. I bought them from a pet store 2 days ago. They're boys and they seem to be very afraid of the new environment which is understandable. I have two little houses in their for them to sleep as of  right now and I have a very big cage with multiple levels. I used old t shirts as bedding for the houses in hopes that they would get used to my smell. I often put Cheerios right infront of the opening of the house very slowly so that they see my hand giving them the treets. both rats are very skittish and spend all their time hinding when I'm home. I don't want to rush them or anything but some people say to give them time and some ppl recommend handling them everyday so they get used to me and being handled. Please get back to me your help would by much appreciated.

Hi Cody,

All of the links at the bottom are relevant to you. Of course the ones you asked for are under Handling and Taming (Scared or Timid) Rodents. JoinRats is a terrific site for behavior. Yes it is overwhelming and too much!! These links are all from the document Common Issues in my Facebook rat and mouse group Rats are Awesome. I can't recommend more that you join. You will have the links available and can go more slowly, as well as other links for 95% of your questions. It is a nice community and we also solve your medical problems with vets and vet techs.

To find Common Issues and a whole bunch of other useful and fun documents and collections, click on 'files' under the banner; click on the banner on a phone.

I apologize deeply for my belated reply. Real life sometimes sets in :(

Squeaks n giggles,

The Rat Fan Club: Rats! The Perfect Pet?

Lilspazrats: Expected cost of keeping a rat

Lilspazrats: Where to get a pet rat

AG Rattery: Why not to buy from petstores.

Wolf Rattery: "Red Flags" (How to tel a good breeder from a bad)

Selecting A Rat For You

Lilspazrats: Bringing Home Baby (what do you need to buy?)

NFRS: Why Rats Need Company

RMCA: Why Rats need Company

Why it is important to have two or more rats:

Ratty Rat: Guidebook : In the beginning

Lilspazrats: The Big Purchase-A Cage

CageCalc 2: enclosure calculation for rats

Aggressive rats are scared

Join Rats: Earning the Trust of Pet Rats

Join Rats: Earning the Trust of Pet Rats > Links

Trust Training for Your Pet Rat

The Rat Fan Club: Trust Training

Trust training for Pet Rats

SITH Rattery: A Basic Guide to Socializing Rats by Positive Reinforcement

Critter City: My rat is scared of me! Now what?

Rat Behaviour & Biology: Aggression in Norway Rats

Join Rats: Rat temperament and behavior aggression > Links

For unusual changes in behavior please go to the section Recognizing Health Issues and First Aid: for sudden aggression to humans or rats, or lethargy, please especially look under the link The Rat Guide: Signs of Pain; for strange behavior please read about pituitary tumors at the link Health Care- Pituitary Tumour - Failing the Cheerio Test

JoinRats: Normal Play Behavior in Rats

JoinRats: Establishing the Social Hierarchy: Normal Rat Behaviors

JoinRats: Submission, Dominance, Appeasement

JoinRats: Are these two rats' behaviors 'over the top?"

Ratty Language and Behavior

Rat Behavior: What is my rat doing? FAQ

Behavior-Are My Babies Fighting or Playing?

Curiosity Rats: Behaviour

A selection of quick answers from Rat-Help and Rat-Info:

Dublin Animal Hospital: In depth answers to rat FAQ

Curiosity Rats: Debunking Rat Myths

RMCA: Pet Rat Info

The Dapper Rat: Rat Information

PetRat.Info (Formerly the Pet Rat Information Sheet)

North Star Rescue: Pet Rat Care

Pet Rats

Natasha Millikan

Consider me a sub, when no one else is available. NOTE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ONLY ONE RAT. JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP (because there are smarter people than me there!!): ***** ***** Excellent sites: **** **** **** **** **** ****

I have had rats for 3-1/3 years and have researched them extensively. I am a mouse expert with 40 years' experience with mice. The two species are similar and yet also quite different.

My Facebook group is Rats (and Mice) are Awesome.

I have a Bachelor's and two Master's degrees in Linguistics

I am honored that my rats love me!

My Facebook group, Rats are Awesome, serves at the moment 5300 members, and, considering all the huge rescues, probably averages 5 rats per member. That means my clients are about 25,000 rats!!!