Pet Rats/bloody Diarrhea, sneezing w/ red fluid, and mild lethargy

Question
My male rat has been sneezing lots lately, with that red fluid around his nose (can't remember what thats called) and I hadn't been too concerned.  But just last night he has bloody diarrhea, runny enough that it was all over his tush (Poor baby).  It had a sickly sweet sort of smell, and now he doesn't want to come out (which is highly unusual) and kind of just curls up in his bed.  his cage mate is lively and active.  please help!

Answer
Hi Ella,
I'm so sorry your rat is sick. Bloody diarrhea is is not a common problem in rats, mostly is a symptoms of a serious problem. I'm thinking the most likely cause is cancer on the intestines. How old is he? He needs to see a vet, and he may need to be euthanized.

BTW, the red pigment in their tears is called porphyrin.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun