Pet Rats/bumblefoot :-(

My girl MrsTorrence was type 2 diabetic and is well on her way to a healthy
Weight  and gluten free health freak diet but it has left her with bumblefoot, her home is very clean with fresh towels and carefresh ( no woodchips) and ive been giving her epsim salt foot soaks.. please help us with any advice you may have as I would like to avoid vet chemicals and injections if we can.
Thank you!♥♥♥

I'm sorry for my delay in responding to you.  I am not familiar with diabetic rats and how treatment may be affected considering she is diabetic.  Since you provide a very clean and sterile environment for her, perhaps the foot infection had something to do with the fact that she is diabetic but that is just a thought.

I can tell you that the general treatment for ulcerative podedermatitis, more commonly known as bumblefoot.  Treatment is bery simple and consists of Trimethoprim-sulfa  for 10 to 14 days. For severe edema, Prednisone should be prescribed by a vet.  Since this condition causes significant discomfort, oral narcotic pain medication such as Torbugesic should be given as well.

I'm also including a link from the medical rat guide for a detailed description and other treatment options written by experts in medical conditions in rats.

One other important bit of information is that in some rats, podermatitis is chronic so it may be something that you will need to treat on a continual basis throughout her life.

I do hope that this information is helpful and Mrs. Torrence recovers quickly.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.