Pet Rats/Can I still play with my pet rat?

Question
I have a male pet rat and he has been itching a lot here lately. The last time that I gave him a bath I noticed that he had a lot of scabs around his neck. If my rat would happen to have mites is it safe for me to still play with him, or should I keep him in his cage. The main thing that I'm concerned about is having mite infestation in my house and them getting on my daughter. Thank you for your time!

Answer
Hi Alecia,
Sorry for the delay. I was out of town and for some reason I was not able to log in.

The most common type of mites in rats is the rat fur mite, and it only bothers rats, not people. See the article called Skin Problems on my website at www.ratfanclub.org on the Rat Info page for how to treat the mites.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun