Pet Rats/Breeding

I have 2 boys and 5 girl rats (in separate cages). I just have them as pets because I love rats, and I'm not planning on breeding them. We might once or twice for fun, but I'm not a breeder. I'm just wondering though, how old do they have to be to breed them? The girl I want to breed is probably five or six months older than the male. I've read a few things about males having to be different ages. One said eight months, one said a year and a half, and so on. How old do they have to be? Does the male have to be older? Is there a certin age the females can't breed anymore?
Thanks so much,

Two litters gave me 25 pups. So be aware they can have a lot.
Two litters gave me 25  
6 weeks is the earliest you can breed both genders. Obviously that's not ideal but a good age is 3 months for both. 6 months is best for females, at this point they are full grown. Females can breed until the day they die. However it becomes difficult after the age of 1 1/2. They will have smaller litters as they age as well. Be aware that they have up to 15 babies average. So unless you plan on selling to a local store, you'll have to find homes for them.  

Pet Rats

Emily Harris

I can Answer Questions from Training your pet rat,socializing , breeding ,whelping,birth defects, coat patters,genetic disorders, Pros and Cons of Rats,Male vs. Females, Behavior, Diet, General care, Housing, Bathing, Home remedy for the deadly respiratory infection,exercise,Toys,play time,free ranging, what can cause your rat to become sick(ex pine and cedar oils),Living Conditions, Sexing a rat, Intelligence, Breed standards and ways to improve the smell of your pet rat.

I currently have 4 rats, 2 females, 1 breeding male and my 5 year old male who has been retired. I have a degree in biology. I breed for feeders and pets. I have owned rats for 8 years and have bred for 6 years.

Biology degree