Pet Rats/male rats

i just bought a male rat, they said he was about 6 months old...i grew up with rats, but it has been awhile since i had my last male question is his age, his testicles are not very big does that mean he is young?

Hi Carla,
You can't really judge the age of a rat by the size of his testicles. They can be huge even at a young age, and they can also be smaller at any age. They can also retract them into their abdomen, which will affect how large they look.

How big is he? How long have you had him? Has he grown any since you got him?  Is he the only rat you have, or did you get him a companion?

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior