Pet Rats/Rats and their social life

I have been wanting a rat for a while now but I don't want two rats I only want one would that be ok? If I have to have two I will.

It actually is not ok to adopt only one rat.  There is only one exception where one rat living solo is ok, and that is a rat who is aggressive to other rats (but not humans) and must live alone.

Rats are extremely social creatures and no matter how much time you have to spend with them, you can't be with them all day, and at night when you are asleep is their most active time and those long hours every night would be so lonely for a single rat.

I actually always recommend 3 rats or more.  Something first time rat owners rarely think ahead about, and that is that if you have only 2, sadly one rat will pass away before the other and you would be left with one extremely depressed rat.  If you have 3, when one passes, the other two still have each other, and at that point, you adopt one more, so that you always have three.  To care for 3 rats is hardly more time or cost than to care for one.  Please consider all of this before moving forward with rats.

If you do only get two rats, be prepared for what I've described above.

Female rats are far easier to introduce new rats to if you decide to add another rat or more in the future.  Males sometimes can be aggressive to newcomers.

Also, make sure you get a cage that is fairly large.  Something like this Martin's cage R-680 or R-685
or this Critter Nation cage:

I'll leave you with this Youtube video....Once you watch it, you will understand why I strongly recommend always having more than one rat.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.