Pet Rats/Swollen tongue and not eating

Question
Lilly
Lilly  
My 2 yr old girl got a uri a couple of weeks ago and was on baytril to clear it, it worked and she came off the meds after 2 weeks a few days later she took a turn for the worse and has been going down hill since. It's not so much her breathing now, it's the inability to use her mouth. She can't eat solids and barly eats liquids and even water is difficult. Then tonight her breath smells awful and her tongue is swollen out the side of her mouth. I have started the baytril again to see if that helps but the rat vet isn't in till tomorrow afternoon, any suggestions ? Thanks in advance

Answer
Oh the poor girl!  I am really not sure why her tongue would be swollen other than infected for some reason.  If it in infected, then the Baytril will hopefully help.  There is a possibility that she may have had a stroke.  Do your best to keep her hydrated, warm and comfortable until you can get in to see the vet, which is a must.  Tell them it is urgent that they see her as soon as possible early in morning.

I sure hope everything will be ok...sending positive thoughts and prayers to you both.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy