Pet Rats/What can I give my two female rats to chew?

Hello! Recently I've been a little worried that my rats teeth are overgrown. I'm probably wrong because they don't seem to be in any discomfort and are eating fine, but I would love to know what I can give them for chews (without dishing out a load for shop bought ones!!). I'm more than happy to make things and I have a woodwork bench at my disposal:)

Rats teeth do continue to grow through their entire lives but they grind their teeth naturally to keep them short.  You should not give anything for them to chew that could possibly break off into sharp or jagged edges like plastics.  Natural items such as clean wood, cardboard (boxes, tp rolls, and fabric are good choices (but not towels as they can choke if they pull out strings and digest them).

Also, you can add hard foods into their dry mix that they can chew.  Good choices would be Rotini uncooked pasta, uncooked split peas, nuts in their shells (don't give nuts very often as they are high in fat).  Use your imagination to come up with other similar options, just make sure they are safe and/or healthy choices.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.