Pet Rats/Rat sneeze

Hi I have a pet rat for the first time he is 2 months + old but he sneeze a lot and his nose is not running it is dry. I have only put the wood shavings in his litter box but he still sneeze a lot and now I have change the wood shavings to organic bedding material they make it from corn. We made him a hammock for his bed and he loves that he also have a cardboard hut that he plays in and soft blankies. We change his blankies every morning and been training him to go to his litter box which is working most of the time. Must I be worried because sometimes when he sneeze he makes little mouning sounds.
I hope you can help as I have grown so fond of this little "stinker" (his name by the way)
I have tried the pet shops and they not much help .
Thanks again for your help I have tons of questions but will start with this one as I think this is important.
Have a great day
Stinker and ronel

It sounds like your boy has a respiratory infection which needs to be treated with antibiotics.  The medicine recommended is Baytril.  You need to take him to a vet that has experience with rats.  If you need help finding one in your area, please reply back with the city you live in or the closest large city.  You can also take him to a regular vet but you would have to request the Baytril and they would have to weigh him and most likely have to look up (online) the proper dosage based on his weight.  You also must insist they give you a full 21 day dosage for this.  If they try to tell you 14 days is enough, tell them you insist on 21 days because if it's any shorter, he may have a relapse.

It is important this be treated very soon or it will worsen and may turn into pneumonia, which as you know is serious.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you'd like my help finding a good rat vet in your area.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.