Pet Rats/rats legs

back legs
back legs  
Hi there. My rats back legs have been strange as hes grew up. Ive managed to get a photo if him doing it. But his back arches up and sometimes his back feet curl inwards. Doesnt stop him climbing like a monkey. Im going to take him to vets tomorrow as himself or brother has bit his foot. So just to get it checked out. But can they get hip problems? He is only 7-8 months old.

Hi Lyndsey,
I think there is something going on in his spine that is affecting his back legs. This is not something I have seen before, but it seems neurological to me. If your vet can't find anything in his back, then I recommend seeing if you can find a chiropractor who would be willing to take a look at him. Some vets are trained in chiropractic, but many human chiropractors are also willing to treat animals as a challenge.  My chiropractor has successfully treated 4 of my rats with jaw/neck/back problems!

Here in CA, a chiropractor can't charge money for treating animals unless they have a special veterinary license, because that is practicing veterinary medicine without a license, and most states will probably be similar.

If you donít see a chiropractor yourself, ask your friends if they can recommend one.  Otherwise, just start calling those in the phone book to see if they would be willing to treat an animal.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior