Pet Rats/Pain

My little love Olev has had respiratory trouble for most of her life. She is probably about 1 and a half years old now. Her cagemate Mohvi has responded well to treatment but nothing is working for Olev. It has been a long time since she had been able to play or run around and cause mischief, and now she is falling over and getting very thin and looking constantly dazed. I'm terrified that she is in a lot of pain. I don't want her to suffer. Is there anything I can do at home to ease the pain? Can she have motrin or anything that humans can have? Trips to the vet are stressful for her and never seem to do any good. At this point I just want her to be comfortable.

I'm so sorry your girl is hurting and that she's had to suffer for so long.  I hate to tell you that her new symptoms of falling over and losing weight are not good.  She may have had a stroke, or perhaps she's just succumbing to her respiratory illness, or perhaps a number of other illnesses rats can get.

Yes, you can definitely give over the counter painkiller, namely Infant Ibuprofen.  I will detail the dosages below.  If you do notice that she is going downhill quickly and begins to show severe signs of illness (such as severe lethargy, stopping eating and drinking, sitting hunched in a corner), you should consider having her put to sleep as those severe symptoms are signs that death is near and she would surely be suffering at that point.

If you notice her having trouble breathing, there are a few non-medicinal things you can do to help open up her airways.  Offer her small bits of very dark chocolate, and also take her into a very steamy bathroom for 15 to 30 minutes and repeat when symptoms return.

Here is the dosing for Infant Ibuprofen, based on her weight (weight is in grams so you'll have to translate her weight into grams).  Be sure you measure her weight correctly by buying a small kitchen scale if you don't have one that measures in grams in order to give the proper dosage.

Here is the dosing chart:
INFANT Ibuprofen -  50mg/125ml Concentration
Calculated Dosage at 20mg/kg<p> </p>Give with food to avoid Gastric Distress , can be given every 6, 8 or 12 hours..

This is a mid-range dose:
800 grams          0.4 ml
750 grams          0.37 ml
700 grams          0.35 ml
650 grams          0.32 ml
600 grams          0.3 ml
550 grams          0.27 ml
500 grams          0.25 ml
450 grams          0.22 ml
400 grams          0.2 ml
350 grams          0.17 ml
300 grams          0.15 ml
250 grams          0.12 ml
200 grams          0.1 ml

I hope your Olev can recover from this.  It's so hard to watch our little ones suffer.  I'm sending healing vibes her way.  I am here if you need any more help.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.