Pet Rats/Essential Oils and Rats

Yes, I am a Biology teacher and have some pet rats in my room.  I have done a lot of research on the benefits of essential oils in a classroom and would like to use them this year to keep the room smelling nice and to promote attention and improve health.  I do not want these oils to upset the respiratory system of my rats though. Do you know if essential oils are safe to use around rats or if there are certain oils are should and should not use?
Thank you!

You are wise to have done research about rats to learn that they do indeed have extremely sensitive respiratory systems and many suffer from recurring URIs.  Therefore, it is strongly advised not to use ANY type of scents in a room where rats are present.  That includes oils, candles, incense, aerosols, plug-ins, etc.  Fresh air is beneficial, so open windows if possible for periods of time.  Use of humidifiers is also beneficial if possible.

Thank you for asking and caring about the well being of these wonderful pets.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.