Pet Rats/Rat growth discovered

I have noticed a lump around 3 months ago on my 2yr old male rat, it did not seem to affect him and still doesn't, but the lump has now turned into a black crustation on his rear side and the fur has fell out where the lump has grown. Not sure if it's a tumour or whether to take him to the vet? He is one of two rats, they are brothers. The rat in question has always been overweight where his brother isn't , they both eat the same food and I don't give them too many treats. Could you advise please?
Many thanks

Sorry I missed this!

Yes, a vet trip is important. And rat tumors can be removed because they are usually not cancerous. You need a decent exotics vet. Bring his brother too so he isn't so scared.

If you need an exotics vet, see what you can find here:

Again so sorry!  And best of luck!

Pet Rats

Natasha Millikan

Consider me a sub, when no one else is available. NOTE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ONLY ONE RAT. JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP (because there are smarter people than me there!!): ***** ***** Excellent sites: **** **** **** **** **** ****

I have had rats for 3-1/3 years and have researched them extensively. I am a mouse expert with 40 years' experience with mice. The two species are similar and yet also quite different.

My Facebook group is Rats (and Mice) are Awesome.

I have a Bachelor's and two Master's degrees in Linguistics

I am honored that my rats love me!

My Facebook group, Rats are Awesome, serves at the moment 5300 members, and, considering all the huge rescues, probably averages 5 rats per member. That means my clients are about 25,000 rats!!!