Pet Rats/Rat's hyperactivity in cycles

ondi wrote at 2014-10-09 22:06:11
I was readying this post and it reminded me of a behavior my two girl bunnies do in cycles. a few times a year my girls ( who dont live together) go through a periods of false pregnancies. there behavior is aggitated and over active. the drag stuff around. the make a nest ( if its in the litter box they stop using it) if I try to clean around them they can get rather grunty and ornery. when I looked up info on this it suggested that it wasnt common for a bunny that is not around a male fixed or not to go through this regularly. spaying was recommended because of the chances that the hyperactive hormone cycles may cause other health problems, like uterine infections and cancer. I think mammery cancer was higher risk as well because the mammary glands would start production but not lactate fully. I have no idea if this is possible reason. im not sure with my bunnies either it was just the best answer I could get with out a ton of diagnostic tests.  

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior