Pet Rats/rat bandage jacket

One of our rats is in a viscious circle.of.licking her scabs on her back so that they are impossible to heal and we think if we could bandage her so she cant turn to reach them it may help.. do u have any ideas..

I do.  Bandaging a rat is quite tricky because they are so good at squeezing their way out of anything and do not like to have anything attached to their bodies and will try to remove it.  There is one good method of bandaging a rat that won't restrict their bloodflow and is secured in a way that prevents a rat from squirming out of it.  I have never personally done this type of bandaging, but it comes highly recommended by rat experts.

It is a bit complicated, but it should do the trick.  Try to get someone to help you hold your rat while the bandage is applied.  Good luck, I hope this works to help heal your rat's scabs.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.