Pet Rats/Need help dosing

Hello Debbie,
First let me start off by saying that your books and online information regarding rats have been super helpful over the years. Anyways I have two male rats that came to me sneezing. I left it alone for two weeks until they were adjusted to their new home. Then I tried amoxicillin and doxycycline. When Beethoven's sneezing progressive wheezing I took them to the vet and they were prescribed Baytril and Doxy. I have not heard the wheezing from Beethoven since but they have not stopped sneezing. So I ordered some azithromycin for fish online and need help figuring out how many ml of flavoring to put in with a 250mg pill. They both weigh about a half a pound. Also wanted to check if it is okay to use the fish version of azithromycin as it is okay to use fishmox?

Hi Christine,
Before we talk about the azithromycin, which I don't recommend, let's talk about how long they have been on on the Baytril, and what the dose is. Also, what bedding do you use for them?  If you want to email me instead my email is

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior