Pet Rats/Slow Rat

Question
Hi Irene,
I have a fancy rat named Ralph who is 1 year old, and I have had him for about a week now. I adopted him from a near by animal shelter. He lives with my other rat, Snoop, and they get along great! Snoop is fairly young (under 6 months) and is in great condition! I have noticed that Raplh has always been a little slower than Snoop, but he has gotten very slow, and leans to the right when he walks a little bit. He does not collapse fully, but it almost seems that his front right leg will just "give out". He leans more with his right foot then with his head, but he is eating and drinking from what I can tell. I'm very worried about him, and don't know if this could be an "older" rat thing, or if he has suffered from a stroke or ear infection.
Thank you so much,
Mackenzie

Answer
One year is not yet that old for a rat.  He should not be slowing down yet.  I also would be conconed about a possible stroke he may have suffered.  It is critical you take him iin to the vet to have hin examined.  He may need medication to help him recover from whatever he is suffering from.  I would not hesitate in taking him in.  

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy