Pet Rats/rat sneezing

Question
hi I rescued two female rats from pets of home and yesterday one of them started to sneeze just a little bit I was wondering if she gets worse could I give her some flucloxacillin ?
thanks

Answer
I'm not familiar with flucloxacillin, but it sounds like an antibiotic.iotic similar to amoxicillin.

It is common for rats to sneeze when adjusting to a new environment and the sneezing could be brief or may last for a few days.it should stop on it's own once she adjusts.  No medication is necessary.

Of course there is the possibility that it is the start of a respiratory infection and if the sneezing goes on for more than a few days, gets worse, or if you notice wheezing, or trouble breathing, then I recommend going to a vet who is experienced in treating rats and have her examined and get a prescription for Baytril and doxycycline, a dosage based on her weight, for a duration of at least 21 days and make sure to finish the entire 21 days worth or more of thee meds to prevent a possible relapse.

Please Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy