Pet Rats/Sick Rat

Hi! This is my first time having a rat, i've had her for 7 months. I Looked IN Her Cage Saw That She Looked Really sick. She has crust in 1 eye, she has labored breathing,  and she's not active at all. When I usually pick her up, she's excited and wanting to roam around. Now she's just laying down everywhere. It's really heartbreaking to see such a nice rat look so drained... If you can, I was wondering if you can call me at  . Or email, either one works. Thank you!

Labored breathing is not a good sign.  It's likely she has a respiratory infection. You need to get her to a vet ASAP and have her out on antibiotics.  Tell the vet you need both Baytril and Doxicycline for a minimum of 21 days.  Insist on 21 days worth if they try to give Less than that.  If the vet is closed right now, you can help her to breathe better temporarily by putting her cage in a warm and very steamy bathroom for about 30 minutes, and repeat as needed when you notice breathing getting worse.  Also give her tiny bits of very dark chocolate, the darker the better, with 60 % or higher cacao content.  These two things will help to open her airways and hopefully help her breathing.  These are only a temporary fix, if they work at all, and hopefully they will, until you can get her to the vet tomorrow.  

Please write me back and let me know if these home care measures are helping.  Let me know if you have any other questions at this time.  I hope she pulls through.  I'm sending healing vibes her way.

PS your phone number didn't come through due to this sites privacy settings.  You can try finding me on Facebook and sending a friend request as a faster way to communicate.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.