Pet Rats/spontaneous vaginal bleeding in pregnant rat

Question
hello, I am a PhD student running some tests on pregnant rats. I noticed frank vaginal bleeding in one of the female rats 3 days after mating and I had to separate it from the others. please could you offer an explanation for this; and if possible offer any references for similar occurrences. Thank you.

Ojulari Lekan Sheriff.

Answer
Sheriff, can you please e-mail me at spazrats@yahoo.ca

I have forwarded your question to a few of my Pet Rat groups to get more info for you.

It is not fully understood what type of rat you are using for the experiments? Lab Rat like the Sprague Dewey, or Pet Rats???? Lab Rats are suppose to be free of the Mycoplasmosis bacteria that causes so many problems for our pets. So the answers are from Pet Rat keepers. Our rats are prone to Myco.

The general consensus among the rat groups is suspicions as to what kind of experiments are you doing on these rats, and why she has not been taken in to be seen by a vet????

Possible reasons for vaginal bleeding: Pyometra (uterine infection), Urinary Tract Infection or Cystitis (blood is coming from an irritated bladder), Mycoplasmosis Infection, or Cancer. All of these can kill the rat. Solution, stop the experiments and get her to the vet. Rats hide their illnesses very well, by the time you see illness, it is usually too late to help them.

Myself and one other response had rats die of Pyometra, unresponsive to antibiotics.

Myself and many others have had rats with Bladder problems, relieved with antibiotics.

No one believed that it might be a miscarriage.  

Pet Rats

Sandra Beasley