Pet Rats/my Precious Pet Rat is sick...

sherry wrote at 2015-04-20 23:04:42
Debbie, Thank You so MUCH FOR ALL of the information you provided me with, really...Thank You.

I just wanted to give You an update on Pow. Pow has been recovering just fine. And You were right, I started seeing an improvement within two days.He's eating and drinking normally, and he's doing the "Happy Rat" for me again! The "Happy Rat" is a thing he's always done, where I ask him, "Do I have a happy rat? " and he will jump/pounce around on my bed and me all happy.

I'm still giving him his meds. And I took your advice and instead of trying to get that large dose of the doxycycline into his mouth,, I broke it down into smaller amounts and it worked like a charm.I had to dip the dispenser into a small amount of ice cream , but it worked. I just didn't want to hold him down like I did the first time bc he wasn't breathing well, and he was really scared and the even urinated on me. So I didn't want to stress him anymore than he already was at the time. I'm very Thankfully that this website exists, and for all of the help You provided me with. Again, Thanks Debbie!!!

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior