Pet Rats/My pet rat has tumors

Hi.I have two female rats and one has developed 3 tumors. I would have taken her to the vet but she has had a lump before and we don't want to pay for more operations considering she is 2 and a half. One lump is under her arm and two are one her tummy and
they are all about grape sized. Do we need to put her down? She seems ok in herself though.

Hi Lu,
Mammary tumors do not seem to cause any discomfort, so there is no need to euthanize her at this point. You can actually let the tumors get huge, so big that she can't even move around any more, before you need to consider euthanizing her because of them. For more information, see myh website at

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior