Pet Rats/diarrhea

Question
Hi there. My rat over past 2 days seems to have very loose stool. It looks quite creamy orange colour. Hes still drinking and eating at the moment. Is there anything to give him to harden up his stool like natural yogurts or a pribiotic/vitamin supplement. Apart from that hes fine in himself. I have left over antibiotics from his brother will i give him that or will that make it worse. Hes 1 year old will be 2 in october. Thanks in advance.

Answer
Diarrhea can be caused by a temporary upset in the intestinal flora (good bacteria in the intestines) which can be treated with probiotics (good bacteria for the intestines).  Yogurt containing active cultures (check the label) is a good source of probiotics.   But a better source is a probiotic product from a health food store, pet shop or feed store.  Dose is not critical; you canít give too much.  Mix it in soft food.  If the diarrhea is going to respond to the probiotics, you should see an improvement within a few days.

If the diarrhea doesnít respond to probiotics is most likely caused by a serious problem with the intestines. In young rats it can be caused by megacolon.  In older rats the most common cause is something like intestinal cancer.   I recommend you take him to a vet who has experience in treatin rats if he doesn't respond to the probiotics.

Definately do not give antibiotics, unless recommended specifically by a vet.

I hope you boy recovers soon.  Please let me know if there's anything else I can do.  

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy