Pet Rats/Re-introducing rats

Hi again.

I have two male rats (brothers) that have grown up together since birth, but for the past month and a half they have been separated. The reason for this was a large wound on Cas's neck, which was seen to by the vet and has now been cleared up. Because we had no idea what caused the wound the vet advised keeping them separated, but this has made re-introducing them terrible. Before the injury, they never fought aside from play-fighting or wrestling, but I've tried putting them together briefly on my bed and after a brief period of sniffing they fight, even drawing blood. Any advice on how to best reintroduce them to each other would be helpful.

Ho Jess, I am not surprised that they don't remember or recognize each other as a month and a half is quite a long time in the short life of a rat.  That is equivalent to several years in human life!

They are strangers to each other now and you would have to go about introductions exactly like you would when introducing two completely new rats.  With males, it is often even harder as there is testosterone involved.

I am going to link you to my favorite website that I've ever run across regarding introducing rats.  Try following the many baby steps listed.  Be prepared going in that this may take a lot of time and patience on your part if it is to be successful.  It may takes, days or even weeks.

Be aware that there is always a chance that these boys may not get along even after you have tried all of the introduction techniques.   At that point, you will need to decide between two options...keeping each boy in his own cage for the remainder of their lives, or neutering the aggressive boy, or both boys if both are aggressive.

I hope that you will not have to resort,to the latter two options.  Have hope and patience and you may be pleasantly rewarded, as will they when they can reunite and live happily together. I wish you lots of good luck.  Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.