Pet Rats/S. Moniliformis

Question
I recently adopted a friends female rat and she scratched me while she was crawling around. I asked my friend if the rat had ever drawn blood before and my friend said yes. So my question, if my rat is positive for s. Moniliformis is it possible that my friend wasn't infected but I still could be? She's had her for 2 years.. Since she was a baby.. But never been to a vet.

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Valesca,
There is a very very low chance that you could be infected and develop the disease. However, rat-bite fever is very rare, and most people who are exposed to the bacteria never get the disease. It is a good idea to know the symptoms and get medical help if you start showing the symptoms.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun