Pet Rats/bump between eye and ear

Pete or Repete
Pete or Repete  
My 17 month old rat has this bump between his eye and ear... any idea what it could be???
I have 2 identical boys and only this one has this...

Hi Donna,
It could be an abscess. See the article on that topic on my website at However, what appears to be an abscess on the face all too often turns out the be cancer. Only time will tell. See the article about tumors on my website too. In most cases you don't need to do anything for an abscess, and if it's cancer, there really isn't much you can do. I wish you luck,

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior