Pet Rats/Broken trust?

Question
So when I first got my little girl she was very curious and would sniff my fingers etc. However she wouldn't come out of her cage so I took the cage apart with her in it cause I was told by the people at the pet store to just hold her as much as possible and every time I hold her she seems to get more comfortable and she will take treats from my hand now if I put them in front of her little home however she won't take them from me outside of her cage and now won't sniff my hand. Idk what to do I knew taking the cage apart like that was a bad idea that would be so scary.

Answer
Hi Mckenna,
First of all, is she an only rat? Single rats can feel very insecure, so if so, I recommend getting her a cagemate. You'll find an article about introducing new rats on my website at www.ratfanclub.org. Also there, you'll find an article called Trust Training that will tell you how to regain your rat's trust.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun