Pet Rats/Rat Teeth

Hi, I just recently noticed this weird stuff on my rats bottom teeth (see photos) kinda white and brown stuff between the incisors and near the gums. I'm alarmed because I have a few other rats and they don't have this on theirs. She's a year old.

Sometimes she'll chew on her cage bars. She has toys and wood chews though. She also lives alone because she fights with other rats. She gets fed rat food and fruit and veg everyday. I'm just really worried about her teeth and wondering if I should take her to the vet. I thought maybe some food was stuck so I tried to wipe it off to be sure and its really stuck there and has been for a few days now. Would occasional treats cause this maybe? She doesn't always get treats though, I try to keep her diet healthy.

Also, sometimes she makes this noise with her tongue, kinda the noise you would make after you sipped a drink or eating something soft. I'm wondering if she can taste what's on her teeth or there's something wrong with her mouth. Thank you so much.

Hi Shauna,
I have seen this before on other rats. I'm not sure what causes it, but I don't think it is anything to worry about. As long as her teeth are straight and even, which they appear to be in the first picture, they are normal. What kind of treats do you give them? The best treats are a wide variety of fruits and veggies, with an occasional nut in the shell, and maybe a small dog biscuit from time to time.

You can find more info about rats on my website at

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior