Pet Rats/My rats eyes

Lately I have noticed that when my rat wakes up she has "red eye boogers" so to speak. I am just wondering what that means. She doesn't seem sick. Why does she get them? Also, what temperature should I keep the room at that her cage is in? I often worry that she may get to hot or to cold.

The substance around your girls eyes is called porphorin.  Some rats always have a little porporin around their eyes upon waking up, and others never do.  If she is only showing it upon waking and it is consistent, I wouldn't worry about it.

In some cases, the appearance of porphorin around the eyes and sometimes nose is a sign of stress or illness or both.  If your rat is ill, often porphorin is the first sign with no other symptoms, as rats are inherently good at hiding pain and illness, as they are prey animals.

But like I said, if this is only upon waking and consistent and you see no other signs such as change in appetite or energy, there is nothing to worry about.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy

I can answer a variety of questions regarding adoption and care of pet rats throughout their lifetimes, including questions about their health and well being, temperment, diet, bedding, cages, toys, etc. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability in a timely manner and I have an abundant amount of resources to help me to help you with your pet rats. I love rattie pictures, so include pics with your question if you can. You may ask me medical questions, but please be advised that I am not a vet. I may use my resources to answer some medical questions, however, I will need to refer you to your local vet with medical questions that I feel I am not qualified to address.

I have been a huge rat enthusiast for many years. Since becoming a rat owner, I have educated myself in all areas of pet rats from every resource I could find including the internet, books, conversations with local exotic vets, as well as several local rat breeders.

I have a college degree but not in the area of animals. I have obtained my extensive experience and knowlege of pet rats all on my own because in my eyes, pet rats are the most interesting and fascinating creatures you can ever imagine to have as pets. I also am saddened by how mislabeled and misunderstood these amazing and extremely smart animals are by the majority, and my mission in life has become to educate and change as many people's perceptions of rats as I possibly can.