Pet Rats/Sudden death of rat

Question
My girls are so upset.. our pet rat was playing acting normal.  All of a sudden he started doing circles and bleeding from his nose and died. What could have happened?

Answer
Hi Roberta, I'm so sorry you lost your boy so suddenly.  I know how distressful that was for your family.  You didn't state his age.  Regardless, it sounds as though he had a massive stroke.  I assume he was older, more than 18 months as strokes are not common in younger rats unless they have medical issues.  There is no way to know for certain unless you decide to have your vet do a necropsy.  Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Pet Rats

Irene Murphy