Pet Rats/Whats wrong with my rat Buggie

Question
Hello, I am very concerned with my male rat Buggie. He is 21 months old. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I noticed he was walking with his head tilted to one side. So I brought him to the vet and the vet said that his ears were clear and had no ear infection, and it's probably just "old age". The vet prescribed him 'Tribrissen .25cc' twice a day. He doesn't seem to be getting any better. He has lost weight, has a hard time cleaning himself and holding his food, and his testicles and hind feet look blue (mainly his testicles). It also looks like his hair seems to be thinning and his skin looks more red than it normally is. He stills wants to eat and still wants attention, but it seems as if he is getting worse and I don't know what to do. Recently called the vet to ask more questions and they told me there wasn't much they can do because he is old. I have another male rat the same age, in different rooms (my sisters), but he has none of these symptoms as Buggie and he is perfectly fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Answer
Hi Gina,
I'm very sorry Buggie is so sick. Obviously your vets don't know anything about rats, so you ned to find a better vet. Check the vet referral list on my website at www.ratfanclub.org. If you can't find a good rat vet, I suggest you order my Rat Health Care booklet (on the Books page) and try to find a vet who will work with you from the booklet.

First of all, when an inner ear infection causes a head tilt, there are no external signs, the infection is behind the eardrum. However, because Buggie has more symptoms than just the head tilt I'm afraid it sounds like he has a pituitary tumor, which is much more serious. See the section on pituitary tumors in the Tumor article on my website.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun