Pet Rats/change in behavior

Question
Hello. I have a precious rat named Peach. Usually she is calm and loving. Today, she is running around her cage like crazy and even bit my fiances finger really hard. Is there anything to be concerned about?

Answer
Hi Wendy,
As she is running around, does she seem to know where she is going and what she is doing? Does she seem frantic?  Is she running into walls?  One possible cause is a seizure, which would be the most likely reason why she bit you. Usually after a seizure, they will be very tired. Other possible causes are extreme fear or respiratory distress (although then she probably wouldn't have bitten you.) Sometimes a rat will have a fright, although you may never figure out what scared them, and it can take them a couple days to get over it.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun