Pet Rats/HELP! rat has swollen belly! might need vet?!

Question
QUESTION: My pet rat, Missy has a swollen belly, the only symptom was:
•visibly swollen belly area although not extremely big
I asked Irene Murphy (I think) and she said it was probably digestion problems and to put her on a fresh, soft food diet. I made some yogurt drops with probiotic yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in, once they weren't so cold she devoured them, I also but a bowl of fresh fruit and between her and her sister it was gone overnight.after the fruit bowl her tummy seemed better so I thought that the diet might help and she would be better. Mossy is 1.5 years old and has always been on the heavier side and didn't like exercise or healthy foods while her sister, Zoey, is the exact opposite but she had gotten better with the exercise and was eating a wide variety of food. Today though, she was acting a little odd (like sitting in a corner looking depressed odd) and we took her out and put her in a warm bath after noticing she had pee on her (like around her pee hole) and she pooped a lot because she and her sister HATE baths and her tummy did seem better but my mom had been running her tummy and a thick yellow liquid came out of her pee hole and she pooped. Her pee is normally pretty watery and she doesn't usually openly poop, like she did earlier, on people. So there tick yellow liquid and lethargic, depressed attitude had me a little worried and I think she may have some kind of infection and I would like to take her to the vet but I'm not sure.i Officially started a fresh and soft diet today and was gonna give it the days and if there was no difference, take her to the vet but with these new developments I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. Three is no lump, no way she could be pregnant, no signs of discomfort (except the odd dejected sitting in a corner today) and she was acting normal til today so I'm not really sure what to do. I'm not a big fan of spending a lot of money on a short living animal but if you think its resolvable quickly with medication and that it's a safer bet than the diet then I'm willing to pay. I know its late Sunday night but please answer asap tmrw cause I really need advice from someone who may be able to help. It hurts me to think she might be in that corner not comfortable and struggling to poop or pee:\

ANSWER: Hi Isabel,
Does her poop look normal? Are you sure the thick yellow liquid came out of her urethra, or could it have come out of her vagina?  You can buy antibiotics for her yourself, although if you can't find them locally, you'll need to get them mail order which will take time. See the info below. I recommend putting her on both amoxicillin and Baytril.
Deb

Based on my 30 years of experience, for a rat who is sick, no matter the symptoms, amoxicillin is the first treatment I recommend. This is because amoxicillin is best for secondary infections, which can get very severe very quickly, killing a rat in a matter of hours or days, and require immediate treatment. Baytril is not always effective for secondary infections, so if you try it first, the could die. Therefore, I recommend all rat owners have amoxicillin on hand. If the amoxicillin doesn’t work within 2-3 days, then you can try doxycycline or Baytril for mycoplasma, which is a slow chronic disease, so you usually have more time for treatment. Secondary infections can cause respiratory symptoms (but not always), lethargy, poor appetite, and other symptoms, and are common in rats, especially young rats and those from pet shops. Older rats can also get secondary infections on top of mycoplasma. Amoxicillin is also best for abscesses.

All vets will have amoxicillin, and in the U.S. you can also get amoxicillin over the counter as aquarium fish capsules from some feed stores and specialty aquarium stores, and online. Call the stores in your area and ask before driving there.  Do NOT tell them you are buying it for your rats!  It is legal for them sell it over the counter only for fish.  You will not find it at Petco, PetSmart, etc.  If you can’t find amoxicillin, you can use ampicillin which is basically the same thing, it just isn’t absorbed as well, so just double the dose to 20 mg/lb twice a day. Be sure to get CAPSULES.

Some vets won’t prescribe amoxicillin for rats because they learn in vet school that you can't give amoxicillin to hamsters or guinea pigs (it will kill them) so they sometimes generalize this to all rodents.  But amoxicillin is fine for rats and mice, whose digestive systems are very different from quinea pigs and hamsters.  I use it all the time.  (For more about getting your vet to prescribe amoxicillin, see the info at the bottom.)

Rarely you will have an individual who will be allergic or sensitive to amoxicillin, and the most common side effect is diarrhea.  In most cases, this diarrhea is mild enough to be controlled with probiotics (good bacteria for the intestines) but if the diarrhea is severe it will stop when you discontinue the treatment with amoxicillin.

You can order amoxicillin capsules www.fishmoxfishflex.com.  If your rat is already sick, be sure to ask for overnight delivery! They will even ship OVERSEAS!

You can also get amoxicillin mail order from Jedd’s Pigeon Supplies at 800-659-5928.  You can also order on their website at http://www.jedds.com/StoreFront.bok. Go to the shopping cart to search for items.

You want to mix the amoxicillin in a yummy liquid such as Ensure or slightly diluted Hershey’s strawberry syrup. You can buy a 1 ml syringe for measuring at most pharmacies. A 3 ml or 12 ml syringe is also helpful for measuring out the flavoring. Amoxicillin does not dissolve but forms a suspension. The powder will sink to the bottom, so before taking out a dose, you need to stir the mixture with the syringe extremely well, being sure to scrape up all the powder off the bottom so it is in suspension.

Mix one capsule of 250 mg amoxicillin in 7.5 ml of flavoring (If you have 500 mg capsules, use twice the amount of flavoring: 15 ml.) A small pill bottle is about the right size to mix it in.  Keep in the refrigerator.  Amoxicillin doesn’t taste too bad to most rats and most rats will eagerly lick this right from the tip of the syringe.  The normal dose is 0.3 ml/lb twice a day.  You can go as high as 5 times that normal dose if necessary, and it’s a good idea to give a double dose the first time.

If your rat won’t take the amoxicillin mixture voluntarily, you can try mixing it in yummy soft food. Or, you can make the dose 0.1 ml which is too small for them to spit out when you put it in the back of their mouth.  Mix one capsule with 2.5 ml of flavoring. Then the dose is only 0.1 ml/lb twice a day.

You need to know about how much your rat weighs. The normal dose is 10 mg/lb twice a day but you can safely go as high as 50 mg/lb if needed. A 250 mg amoxicillin capsule contains 25  1-lb doses.  

Give the dose twice a day.  If it's going to work the symptoms should improve within 2-3 days.  If it does work you need to continue the treatment for at least 2-3 weeks.  If it doesn’t work then you need to try a different treatment.  If the symptoms are all gone within 3 days you should continue the treatment for 3 weeks.  If it takes longer for all the symptoms to go away, give it for 4-8 weeks and maybe longer.  The longer it takes for all the symptoms to go away, the longer you should continue the treatment.  If the symptoms stop improving, or if the amoxicillin doesn't help at all, you will need to try doxycycline instead.

You can order doxycycline capsules here:
http://www.jedds.com/shop/bird-biotic-capsulessachets/
If you would prefer a liquid they also have Doxysyrup or Doxyvet Liquid. Most people will want to order Doxysyrup, which is 10 mg/ml. The normal dose is 0.25 ml/lb twice a day. If necessary you can give twice this.

If you own a lot of rats, the most economical choice is Doxyvet Liquid, which is 50 mg/ml. The normal dose is 0.05 ml/lb twice a day. If necessary you can give twice this. I have heard from several rat owners that this liquid is not as palatable as the Doxysyrup, but it can be diluted with yummier liquid or mixed with food. If you mix 1 ml of the Doxyvet with 5 ml of flavoring, and then the dose is 0.3 ml/lb twice a day. Depending on the flavoring you use, the mixture should probably be refrigerated.

You can also often find 100 mg capsules of doxycycline at a good price on eBay.

For 100 mg capsules or packets of doxycycline, mix one capsule or packet with 12 ml of flavoring (slightly diluted strawberry syrup works good) and then the dose is 0.3 ml/lb twice a day. Store in the refrigerator and stir before taking out a dose.

If the doxycycline doesn’t help either, you will need to try Baytril. You can buy 100 ml of 10% oral generic Baytril (enrofloxacin is the generic name but it can be called enroxil or enrofloxacine) from pigeon supply companies for birds. The dose for a 1-lb rat is 0.1 ml, which means that 100 ml is 1000 rat doses!  Very economical.   You need to give it twice a day.  Do not refrigerate the Baytril! Also, do not rinse out the syringe you use for it because for some strange reason the syringe will wear out really fast. If you never rinse it out, it will last forever.

I’ve had the best luck giving Baytril in 4-6 ml of a product such as strawberry Ensure or Boost in a baby food jar lid, or in 1/8 teaspoon of the soy baby formula powder, making a paste.  It helps if you put the baby food jar lid on a small magnet to help keep your rat from tipping it over.  

You can order it from http://uspigeons.mercasystems.com/index.php/enroxina-pigeons-products.html
or  http://www.allbirdproducts.com/
or www.ladygouldianfinch.com

You will find more info about treating respiratory infections on my website at www.ratfanclub.org on the Rat Info page.  I also highly recommend you order my Rat Health Care booklet.  It is only $7 plus shipping (CA residents add 58 cents tax.)

********************************************************************************************************************
Concerning amoxicillin and veterininarians:  Many vets don’t want to use amoxicillin on rats.  This is probably because in vet school they learn that amoxicillin can’t be used in guinea pigs, rabbits or hamsters (because it kills the good bacteria in their intestines), and they probably generalize this to rats and mice.  However, rats and mice usually tolerate amoxicillin quite well.  In my experience only a very small percentage of them will get diarrhea from it, and this is not life-threatening; it will usually clear up with a probiotic, or the amoxicillin can be stopped.

Here are some references for using amoxicillin in rats for your vet to check if they are reluctant to prescribe amoxicillin:

Exotic Animal Formulary, Third Edition, James W. Carpenter, MS, DVM editor, Elsevier Saunders Publishing
Page 377, Antimicrobial and antifungal agents used in rodents.
Ampicillin for mice and rats: dosage 20-50 mg/kg PO, SC, IM q12h
(Note: ampicillin and amoxicillin have essentially the same adverse reactions and effectiveness, so they can be used interchangeably)

Blackwell’s Five-Minute Veterinary Consult: Small Mammal, Second Edition, Barbara L. Oglesbee. 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Page 588, For Bacterial Infection
For rats (do not use in hamsters), amoxicillin/clavulanic acid (12.5–15 mg/kg PO q12h) may also be used.

ViN (Veterinary Information Network, Inc.) Website

Thomas Donnelly, BVSc on 02/05/2006  “Amoxicillin is safe to give rats.”

Johanna Briscoe, VMD, on 07/08/2004  “I have used Clavamox liquid in a rat and it worked beautifully on an abscess that I thought may have been from a bite….  Clavamox dose same as in other mammals—13.75 mg/kg PO BID.”
(Note: Clavamox is the brand name for a mixture of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.)

************************************************************************************************************

QUESTION: Her poop is soft, lighter in color than her sisters, and smaller than her sisters. She has eaten a bunch of probiotic yogurt drops which might cause that. The yellow liquid was coming out of her urethra I believe. We are going to the vet you recommended on ur website so will she do what you said? Missy is acting totally normal when we hold a feed her so the lethargy is only in her cage.

Answer
I recommend you print out the antibiotic info I sent you to take with you to the vet, since not all vets know rats can have amoxicillin. Most vets want to give just Baytril, which is good for treating mycoplasma, but not for other infections. And a combo of both tends to work best for urinary infections in rats. They also need to be given for several weeks.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun